Monday, September 3, 2007

People watching

Here I am in NY, the Big Apple and went down to Starbucks to jump start my day. I took a window seat on Broadway @ 75th street, and all of a sudden I realized that right here, more that 50 years ago I sat with my parents having breakfast in a restaurant call Starks. We stayed in the Beacon Hotel which is still right there on B'way on the other side of 75th.

Although I brought a book along, people watching is far more interesting. The flow of people into Starbucks was relentless. In the hour I sat there were always at least 3 people in line. From my vantage point I studied the passing crowds, and, yes, there were crowds. I always pick out certain types and try to figure out what they are all about. This being Labour Day, the dress was casual to very casual, but I invariably imagined that the guy in flip flops, baggy shorts and tank top would tomorrow put on a well pressed formal shirt, neat slacks and perhaps even a tie. The women in very short shorts, or very tight jeans, would they also put on a straight laced business look for the work week.

And how many of them were dog walkers? probably more than half. It also struck me that for every woman I saw with child there were as many as 4 dads with 1, 2 or even 3 kids. Was this proof of the dominant single parent families in contemporary society, and was holday Monday Dad's turn with the kids. This thought really saddened me.

New York........This is an amazing city. You can feel its energy. I love to experience it, but at the end of the day, let me go home.